It’s no secret that I am a massive fan of brunch and with Charlotte aka Mrs Pantry on our team – it’s no surprise that The Pantry is one of my favourite hang outs. It seems the rest of Edinburgh agrees with me given that The Pantry has served an astonished 37,500 poached eggs this year alone. The Pantry was also crowned Overall Winner in The Food Awards Scotland this year too. Which all goes to show… I have egg-cellent taste!
Obviously, for Edinburgh people I’d suggest heading the The Pantry over the holidays but – if you can’t make it to Stockbridge or Colinton – I’m delighted Charlotte has shared secret to The Pantry’s perfect poached egg:
How to poach the perfect poached egg in 5 easy steps
1. Fresh Free Range eggs is the key! And the better the quality the better the poached egg.
2. Boil your water in a big pot with lots of space for your eggs. Reduce your heat, you don’t want a rolling boil, more simmering with little bubbles.
3. Add a good splash of white wine vinegar.
4. Get the water moving, not a whirlpool just a gentle roll.
5. Break your egg in, set a timer for 2.5 minutes.
Get your egg out with a slotted spoon and place on your toast. Season with salt and pepper and you are good to go.
How do you like your eggs? Is poached your thing or do you like something else?